On Apr 21, 2006, at 12:03 PM, Don Brown wrote:

The lack of developer support is worrisome, though, regardless what we do with it.

I think there's a lot of impression that Tiles is "done." From what I can tell it pretty much fulfills 80% of the use cases and there are workarounds for others. Most of the innovations I can think of overlap with the portlet or JSF spaces enough that I'm not sure if they are worth doing. When we started refactoring it I questioned whether it was really a worthwhile effort or if it would have a limited lifespan. I still question that at every step along the way :-) Should we just make the bare minimum changes to get Tiles out of the sandbox or is it worth it to do major surgery?

There are a few other technologies I want to spend time looking at once we get a release of Tiles. I'd like to see how it compares to Facelets, Clay, and Sitemesh, as well as how much relevance Tiles has in a portlet environment. Those things may help to determine the future of Tiles.

Those are just my thoughts.
Greg