Dakota Jack wrote:
Doesn't this kind of talk sound goofy to you all?  Isn't this reference to
the Apache Way sort of like a secret handshake and a silly hat?

It's all that, yes, but it's also not very honest, I'd say.

You see, the various scripture on the so-called "Apache Way" claims that the ASF is run as a "meritocracy". What you see here is that the Struts committers, after years of not achieving much, have invited in the Webwork people with the intention of relabelling Webwork as Struts Action 2 (when the existing Struts codebase is Struts Action 1). They tacitly accept that the Webwork people ran the better project technically, did the better work.

Well, once you accept that the other people did the better work, and you have a meritocracy, then those other people, who have more merit, they run the show.

The logic of this looks unassailble to me.

So, by what basic principle does the existing Struts PMC remain in control of the project when they accept that the other people did better work?

The only principle I see is the principle of incumbency or tenure.

When people who did inferior work remain the managers of a project (and ostensibly manage the people who did the better work) and this is by virtue of incumbency or tenure, you don't have a meritocracy.

So, actually, seriously applying the principles outlined about meritocracy would necessarily imply an extreme shake-up in the Struts project. However, in a typically ass backwards way, the "Apache Way" stuff is being used as a rhetorical instrument to quell dissent -- "don't rock the boat". As another example of ass backwards rhetoric, in his "This has gone too far" post, Don Brown implies that the reason for a lack of forward progress is the presence of that discussion. But that is 180ยบ away. That and other such discussions came about precisely because of the lack of forward progress. The causality is in completely the other direction.

Of course, it's clear why there's an attempt to shut down any discussion that casts doubt on the way in which certain people are club members and others are not. It has nothing to do with any "Apache Way". It can't be openly discussed because, in reality, the incumbent managers of the project do not have a leg to stand on. If they accepted the basic logic of a meritocracy, Don and Ted and the rest would have to just resign and let new people in.

Jonathan Revusky
FreeMarker blog, http://freemarker.blogspot.com/

Let's say
what the Struts Way is.  It is not, I would strongly suggest even slightly
related to the Apache Way.  I am also strongly considering just never coming
back here.  I am getting just to sick of the plain and unvarinshed stupidity
on this list.