> I would think we'd want to support some explicit
> notion of a "setup" phase
> right before rendering, and a "cleanup" phase
> afterwards.  That way, you can
> do things like open a Hibernate session and do a
> query that's needed to
> populate a table, then clean up the session
> afterwards.  (JSF makes this
> possible with "before phase" and "after phase' event
> listeners, while Shale
> exposes these concepts directly as callbacks to the
> prerender() and
> destroy() methods on your backing bean if it
> implements ViewController.)

We can do this with interceptors. Since each phase will have it's own action,
the interceptors will wrap the entire call from the portlet dispatcher... I
don't think there's a way to do something like keep a Hibernate session open
across the processAction() and render() calls, though.

> With this structure, the Action framework would
> actually have two
> controllers in a portlet environment ... one for the
> processAction() part
> and one for the render() part.  In a webapp, it would
> all be just one,
> essentially concatenating the processing steps.  We
> would also want some
> sort of environment-independent "action context"
> object that was implemented
> differently for the two environments, but that seems
> likely to be desireable
> anyway.

Or more... I think WebWork's support is one of the few to support the other
portlet states like minimized.