I've done a bit of work with both DWR and Dojo, so...

DWR is really fantastic in terms of being really easy and clean to write
to.  It makes remote calls to the server look like nothing more than
function calls to a local Javascript object.  Really sweet.

But, that's all it is.  While that's great (I'm a fan of DWR if you
couldn't guess!) it doesn't provide a component model for building
widgets, as Dojo does.  It doesn't inherently have anything to say about
that.

You *could* of course build widgets with DWR, but it would require coming
up with your own component model, and all the plumbing that goes into
that.  Dojo already has that.

My feeling is that DWR is more advanced in terms of just doing AJAX.  But,
when you start talking about GUI widgets specifically, Dojo has a big leg
up IMO.  I'm not sure what that really says about either library's place
in SAF2 though...

Frank