Tim O'Brien wrote:
There is obviously a good  deal
of exchange, but the frameworks "compete" (not my words).

While this may be true politically, from a code perspective, I completely disagree. Just about every feature of Shale, AFAIK can easily be used with Action 2: Spring integration, clay, message bundles, basically anything that doesn't use an alternative NavigationHandler or Lifecycle. I think Shale is a great project and plan to use it where I can in Action 2 JSF examples as it really makes JSF easier. I think JSF is a very legitimate view option for Action 2 and Shale fills in JSF's gaps quite nicely.