>From: "Ted Husted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> On 6/21/06, Don Brown wrote:
> > Again, Struts Action and Struts Shale would both retain their separate
> projects,
> > codebases, and release cycles. Struts 2.0 is about building something on
> > top
> of
> > our Struts efforts to create a unified front to users. Users don't care
> > about
> > all the little projects, subprojects, and libraries we have; I think they
> > just
> > want something to help them build webapps - they want Struts 2.0. And as a
> > committer, PMC member and Struts user, I want it too.
>
> Wearing my PMC hat, I'd be surprised if that approach would well serve
> the Shale community. You can dress it up anyway you want, but in the
> end, this approach will have the effect of demoting Shale to an
> appendage of SAF, rather than a framework in its own right.
>
> We like to chatter about what's best for Struts, or what Struts is,
> but I think the key question is what's Shale, and what's best for
> Shale? I remain concerned that, after two years on a greenfield, there
> has not been a GA release of Shale. I have to wonder if keeping Shale
> here is stunting the community's growth.
>
> We've heard from Craig, but in order to make any kind of decision, I'd
> have to know how the other people working on Shale feel.

I think we could use some more Shale recruiters but I don't necessarily think
that is because of lacking community support. I can think of several people
that I feel have been worthy contributors but we have been very conservative.
The SAF camp has recently been very active in recruiting anyone showing
interest.

I don't have a strong opinion either way. I remember someone saying that they
have
precious little time and I sympathize. Making this happen is really a team
effort and
you have to pick your battles. Even though I have not made the time to evaluate
the
latest in the action camp, I truly enjoy the exchange of ideas.

If we continue to share a single community, I don't think that it is wise to
force both
camps into a single shoe box. On occasion we might want to get funky mixing
styles
but most like to play it safe, after all, it's about the right context.

Gary