That's exactly what Struts 2 does with interceptors, and S2 takes it a
step farther by allowing each action to have its own sequence, if you
like.

An important question is whether we want to stick with Chain in the
Struts 1.x series or consider moving to Interceptors for Struts 1.4.

I didn't understand interceptors when we started the Commons Chain
work, but now that I do, it looks like we reinvented the wheel.

-Ted.