Very interesting... I wonder how much of the performance hit was due to Freemarker and how much OGNL. Could you package this application in a war and attach it to a JIRA ticket? I'd love to have it for future comparisons.

Don

dice wrote:
They are my stats Ted. The stats are posted below along with my sample JSP
code. I only tried the textfield tag but looking at the ftl and vm files for
the other tags I can't see how the results would be any different.
Perhaps an interim solution could be to remove the use of OGNL from core
functionality that doesn't require it. eg. Is it really necessary to access
UIBean attributes from the theme templates using OGNL?

PS: I emulated the Struts 2 themes in Struts 1 by wrapping Struts 1 tags in
JSP Tag files and performance was still impressive.

Technology - Hits per second with 1 user / 10 users:

Struts 1 - 109 / 191
Stripes - 88 / 140
WW2/SAF2 with default FreeMarker templates - 12 / 7
WW2/SAF2 with Velocity templates - 22 / 15
JSF - 27 / 40

Sample JSP:

    <s:form action="/test.action" method="POST">
      <s:textfield label="Label1" name="attribute1"/>
      <s:textfield label="Label2" name="attribute2"/>
      <s:textfield label="Label3" name="attribute3"/>
      <s:textfield label="Label4" name="attribute4"/>
      <s:textfield label="Label5" name="attribute5"/>
      <s:textfield label="Label6" name="attribute6"/>
      <s:textfield label="Label7" name="attribute7"/>
      <s:textfield label="Label8" name="attribute8"/>
      <s:textfield label="Label9" name="attribute9"/>
      <s:textfield label="Nested Label1" name="nestedBean.attribute1"/>
      <s:textfield label="Nested Label2" name="nestedBean.attribute2"/>
      <s:textfield label="Nested Label3" name="nestedBean.attribute3"/>
      <s:textfield label="Nested Label4" name="nestedBean.attribute4"/>
      <s:textfield label="Nested Label5" name="nestedBean.attribute5"/>
      <s:textfield label="Nested Label6" name="nestedBean.attribute6"/>
      <s:textfield label="Nested Label7" name="nestedBean.attribute7"/>
      <s:textfield label="Nested Label8" name="nestedBean.attribute8"/>
      <s:textfield label="Nested Label9" name="nestedBean.attribute9"/>
      <s:submit/>
    </s:form>