Don Brown wrote:
As much as I absolutely hate to say it, I think we need to resolve this ajax tag issue before 2.0 goes GA. The AJAX support of Struts 2 gets so much attention by the community that to have a brittle, poorly supported feature that we hope to remove in the next release will only bring confusion and rejection of Struts 2 as a whole.
agreed.

If we created a new tag library, our current tags should be able to be very much simplified as a lot of the attributes would go away. The new tags would be much clearer and easier to pick up without having to explain themes and why certain attributes only work in certain situations.
Yes - much easier to explain tags.

On the other hand, ripping the ajax tags out would affect backwards compatibility. Are a lot of users out there using these tags? Could the migration be simple or would it involve too much effort?
I have never gotten much of an answer whenever I queries the users for who was using the ajax tags. Usually, about 3-4 weeks after a new change was made I would get some feedback. Personally, it would seem that most people are either (a) not using them, or (b) rolling their own.

I'm not sure how much backward compatibility would be affected - as if the same attributes that are used now could be used in the ajax plug-in tags. So if you are upgrading you'd just need to ensure that the plug-in is there. I haven't checked lately, but I think there is quiet a difference from WW2 to Struts2 for the ajax tags (i.e. new attributes, new dojo version, new tags).

Don

Ian Roughley wrote:
The wrappers around the beans are there to provide accessors to new attributes needed by the ajax tags. If we were to extract the tags into a separate taglib or library, I don't think we would need the wrappers. The additionally required attributes would be contained on the new classes in the new library. This would also remove the dependency of s2 on each ajax library we use (i.e. for dojo we need an additional attribute x & y, for prototype maybe we use y and add new attributes a & b).

But I like the idea :) It would also help with the more frequent dojo updates.

/Ian

Ted Husted wrote:
Meanwhile, what about Don's suggestion that we keep the wrappers but
drop the theme and put the tags into their own library or plugin? We'd
need to do something like that first, regardless of where the code
ultimately lives.

-Ted.