I double dare you :)

Don Brown wrote:
Well, I dare you then: http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-1566

:)

Don

Chris Brock wrote:
Don't dare me.  I'm pretty ambitious.  I wrote MVEL 1.0 in three days.

Don Brown-2 wrote:
I'd like it to be possible for a Struts developer to swap in a new EL, perhaps MVEL, if they didn't like OGNL for some reason. If you can create a patch to make that happen, I would consider it my early Christmas present :)

Don

Chris Brock wrote:
Why do you think it would be so terribly difficult?  What does MVEL not
support that is currently supported by OGNL that would not be fixable by
few tweaks to MVEL's syntax?

Generally, MVEL's API architecture follows the same pattern as OGNL,
supports type coercion, conversion, projections, etc. Not to mention that MVEL is now an active project and OGNL is not, and of course the performance advantage in MVEL which is only getting better by
the
day.

Don Brown-2 wrote:
If you can find a way to completely replace OGNL by MVEL, I'd be very interested to see it. :)

Don

Chris Brock wrote:
I think the problem is that the Tapestry solution is simply a property
accessor package, which doesn't really meet the needs of the
established
WebWork community which relies on "expressions" in addition to
properties
accomplish tasks.

That being said, my project (MVEL) stands willing to step in and
assist. I
think it's performance and flexibility speak for itself: http://wiki.mvflex.org/index.php?title=MVFLEX_Expression_Language

Jessek wrote:
I'm still not getting all of the hand wringing that is going on in
this
thread about ognl. There is what I think a perfectly reasonable
solution
that will help finish up those last remaining bits that ognl needs to
really be production ready.
Despite whatever we want to call it you could theoretically view it as
just another interpreter. I may be from an "enemy project" but I'm
still
willing/able to make the changes necessary for this to work.
I've tried on a few occasions to engage whoever I can in the ognl
world
make this possible but haven't gotten any good responses yet. This
isn't
hard problem to solve, so it's frustrating watching everyone implement
new
property path interpreters /debate ognl when the answer is right
there...
;/

Don Brown wrote:
I wrote a simple Struts 2 TemplateEngine that renders tags in pure
Java, as opposed to the Freemarker that is used currently.  I'm
seeing
performance improvements between 3 and 4 times faster than the old
tags. This engine is based on the design I layed out previously [1].
It is better suited to simple tag rendering where the Freemarker
version is better suited for HTML-heavy tag output and customization.

The Java engine:
 - Allows the tag generator and "interceptors" to deal with tag
objects, not pure text
 - Tag "interceptors" or handlers have full control over the output
 - Serialization of tag objects into text can be customized
 - Is fast - 3 to 4 times faster than the Freemarker engine

Anyways, if nothing else, it shows there are things we can do to
drastically speed up the tags w/o throwing out OGNL. If you only use
the simple theme, this might be an attractive option that gives you
more customization and speed.

I'm kinda up in the air as to where to put this. I'm leaning toward
committing it to the sandbox as then it would be clear it is
experimental, especially since not all tags and themes are
implemented.

Don

[1] - http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@struts.apache.org/msg25065.html