Howard, who writes Tapestry, notes the same thing in his framework:
http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2006/11/improve-tapestry-performance-with.html

He chose a different way of retrieving simple properties. It supposedly has jumped his performance a lot. I recommend Struts 2 Committees look for an alternative as well, especially when the expression is simple.

Paul

dice wrote:
By my own benchmarking I am finding Struts 2 somewhere between 5-10 times
slower than Struts 1 in JSP rendering. JProfiler is telling me OGNL is the
bottleneck.
I would like to know whether the decision-makers for Struts 2 have
acknowledged its performance problems and if any resolution has been
planned. If so, what timeframe?