I think I am missing something here - how will the tags be invoked? It will need to be a new tld with a new name space, right? Something like <dojo:select ... /> rather than <s:select theme="ajax" ... /> - so there will be a compatibility issue, but all the functionality will be moved forward.

/Ian

David H. DeWolf wrote:

Ted Husted wrote:
Don mentioned a separate tag library, so that would indicate another
prefix, but there'd be no reason why the internal tag syntax would
change.

To keep the codebase manageable, I believe we do need to make this
change, and I'd rather make it now while we are in our first beta
series than after the first Struts 2 GA. The plugin model might also
open the door to other AJAX implementations of the same tags.

I agree. I like it, but just wanted to make sure we think through the compatibility changes before we make a decision.

In essence we're saying that this change is more important than backwards compat of this one tag and we're willing to live with those repercussions. I'm on board with that.

-T.