On 12/30/06, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'd feel a lot better if XWork would move to the milestone release
> that we use, and Tomcat uses, and HTTPD uses, and MySQL uses, to name
> a few. This hand-over-hand approach, that continually dooms Struts
> releases to beta status is a frustrating waste of volunteer hours.

I don't see how that would help.  If XWork put out a release that it
thought was of beta quality, time wouldn't change that.  Rainer has a
specific list of things he wants to have accomplished before a final
release, and once they are done, we'll get our XWork 2.0 final.

Again, we are so close to having this thing wrapped up.  If splitting
out the ajax tags is too much, it could wait till 2.1.  Other than a few
bugs in showcase, we are golden.

It's not about the Ajax tags, it's about all the other changes we've
made since Struts 2.0.1, many of which have yet to be put into
production or even demonstrated fully. At this point, Struts 2.0.1
doesn't tell us anything about the quality of the bits we have now. We
can't even build Struts 2.0.1 against the current XWork RC. I think
that says something about whether we're still in the same release
series or not.

It's also about being mired in XWork's beta/rc release system. I'm
tired of rolling releases that are doomed to fail.

It's also about XWork being a stealth project. We have a critical
depedency on XWork, which has no lists or forums of its own. In turn,
XWork has a dependency on OGNL, which is dormant, or forked, or both,
I'm really not sure.

What I'd like to see is

* XWork move to a milestone release system, compatible with our own.

* Conventional user and dev lists or forums for XWork, along with
issue and commit alert lists.

* Once we have an XWork dev forum, I'd like to open a discussion about
revitalizing or replacing OGNL. Talking about it here is pointless,
since we are two steps removed from the problem.