Ted and I disagree on this - I don't believe the intention of that
policy is to make headers for source files optional. If you read the
whole policy document rather than focusing on a single word it seems
pretty clear to me that they are required. For example in the FAQ it
states the following about why source file headers are required:

Why is a licensing header necessary?
License headers allow someone examining the file to know the terms for
the work, even when it is distributed without the rest of the
distribution. Without a licensing notice, it must be assumed that the
author has reserved all rights, including the right to copy, modify,
and redistribute.

Niall