There should be a default EL (OGNL) for backward compatibility. Any IDE
will show you API breakage changes but none of them will pickup changes to
tag string requirements changes in the JSPs!
It's probably a good idea to force the user to explicitly state the default
in struts.xml but such an option should be available.

It must be remembered for some peculiar reason people used to use "${}" for
OGNL in XML and annotations so when the effort gets to that level, a way to
define package level defaults might be a good idea too (default to OGNL
regardless even if ${} is encountered).