Basically we have two "core"s - and what I want to do is to merge them
to be the real core (not divided), thus should also remove some clumsy
code which exists in XWork-Core just to satisfy Struts-Core's needs.
And also reduce some duplication like ActionContext and
ServletActionContext.

Having one core with support of extensibility, the next step will be
extracting some plugins, ie. struts-jsp-plugin, struts-velocity-plugin
and so on, to finally have Core which handles only Servlet
Request/Response and the rest can be extended/handled by plugins. To
be more precise, when you build REST app based on S2, you don't need
support for JSPs or any other view layer, you just want to have a
light REST layer.

Paul's idea about moving stuff from S2 to XW is also quite good but
I'm not sure if it is doable as all plugins depend on S2 not on XW -
in most cases XW is invisible for plugins. Also the whole plugin
support logic exists in S2, XW doesn't support plugins and even
extension points. It'd better perform XW to S2 merge IMHO.

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/