On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 11:47 PM Stefan Sperling <s...@elego.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 04:45:32PM -0500, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 4:28 PM Daniel Shahaf <d...@daniel.shahaf.name>
> > wrote:

> > > least
> > >
> > > HACKING [1] states:
> > >
> > > "For an LTS release line, a change is approved if it receives three +1s
> > > and no
> > > vetoes. (Only binding votes count; see above.)"
> > >
> > > If you want to change the policy, do so in a new thread with an
> > > appropriate
> > > subject line.
> >

> > I read that as meaning that stsp will vote on items that need a third vote.
> >
> > Nathan
>
> I literally meant that if there turned out to be lack of voting activity
> with important-looking fixes still in STATUS, I would just merge them with
> two +1s instead of three, applying the "silence implies consensus" principle.
>
> But I'll follow Daniel's opinion now and will simply leave any such fixes
> dangling.

Yes, I agree we should stick to our established policy here.

We recently loosened our backport-voting policy a bit for non-LTS
(Regular) releases, but we didn't for LTS releases (no time to dig up
the thread, but ISTR we discussed it a bit, but didn't reach consensus
on that). I know it's tempting to loosen even more, with the ever
decreasing developer / volunteer activity, but we shouldn't do so
without proper discussion about our policy.

If we really start running into backport-vote-shortage for important
fixes we should probably highlight this in our next board report.

Anyway, so far, for 1.14.1 and 1.10.7 we seem to be getting just
enough votes on most backport proposals (albeit just barely, and after
months of waiting in some cases).

If any are still in there that you (Stefan) or anyone feels should
really get more votes, please highlight them a bit on the mailinglist
... maybe it's not too late to convince some more people to join the
effort.

--
Johan