Daniel Sahlberg wrote on Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 09:46:54 +0100:
> Den tis 16 feb. 2021 kl 21:37 skrev Daniel Shahaf <d...@daniel.shahaf.name>:
> > Is it worthwhile to automate this step?  doap.rdf changes rarely enough
> > that we needn't bother with "edit part of a file" logic; we can just
> > regenerate the entire file and «svnmucc put» it into place, with a
> > comment indicating it's a generated file.
>
> The doap.rdf contain references to two separate releases (at least
> right now) and when running release.py you are working on one release
> at a time. So we can't just have a template and add the current
> release number, we also need to know the other release (which could
> have been a year ago or the same day).

Well, yes, and «release.py clean-dist» already has logic to determine
the other release's version number.

> To automate "edit part of file", we would need to search for the same
> major.minor and replace with current relase, but when there is a new
> minor (1.15..) we would have to edit manually anyway.

I don't think so.

We could generate subversion-%(version)s.rdf-excerpt files, drop them in
dist/, and then use clean_dist()-like logic to cat the right subset of
them, adding a fixed header and trailer.  This way, we wouldn't need to
splice lines out of and into the file, and we wouldn't need to special-case
the first release of a minor line or the EOLing of a minor line in the
logic.

> It's a balance between the amount of work done by RM, the downside of
> having different processes for new minor and new patch release and the
> work to code to automate. I'm leaning towards having it as it is, but
> I would listen to Stefan's opinion (since he did the most recent RM).

By and large, agreed, but see above for the details.

Cheers,

Daniel