On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 06:42:34PM +0300, Evgeny Kotkov wrote:
> Mark Phippard <markp...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Suppose I am using this feature for binaries, which I think is the
> > main use case. Using whatever tool I produce a modified version of my
> > binary file. At this point in time, there is nothing in the text-base
> > because I have not done any SVN operations other than checkout.  Since
> > it is a binary, other than maybe running status my next likely command
> > is going to be commit. Are you saying that during the processing of
> > this commit the client will first fetch the original text base from
> > the server before doing the commit? That seems sub-optimal.  Perhaps
> > you are only doing this for diff or revert which would make perfect
> > sense?
>
> The current state is that the commit is going to fetch the original text-base
> before sending the delta.

Consider an asymmetric home internet connection with more download
than upload capacity. The server may well be able to send the
original full text much faster than the client could upload it.
So with a sufficiently small delta the overall turnaround time might
well be much shorter than letting the client upload a full-text copy.

In cases where the server is hosted behind such a link we will lose time.
But I would expect this case to be less common than the former.