On 21 Jan 2022, Mark Phippard wrote:
One aspect of the previous thread that came up is that someone
demonstrated a simple script to create a cached password (as a
workaround for current users). That is what led to the idea of
formalizing this using the svn auth command to create this file.

I am the only one calling this a backdoor. I am saying that if I am an admin that does not want plaintext passwords being cached and you then create a simple way to do exactly that, then that is a backdoor around the policy I wanted. Maybe it is not the right term to use here. I am just saying if we are going to make someone compile their own binaries
we might as well at least give them what they want.

I return to my "two camps" argument. The people that do not want
plaintext passwords to be cached ... do not want them being cached.

I see what you mean.

If svn is compiled to not cache passwords, but a legacy cached password exists on disk for a given repository, should svn not only not read it but actually warn the user that the cached password exists?

Best regards,
-Karl