On 20 Jan 2022, Mark Phippard wrote:
... my main idea has always been that we put things back the way they were.

I would be completely in favor of that. The old status quo was fine: it presented warnings to users at the appropriate moments, and otherwise let them decide their own threat model, which they know best.

For those who consider *any* support of plain text passwords to be a major security problem, you are right: they will not like any of these solutions, and that's not going to change.

I think the way we already managed the warnings was the right
way to handle this for camp 2. It was just enough warning to make a user aware without making it too difficult to use. What we then need to do is also add some new compile time option to disable plain text
passwords. This would give the people in camp 1 an option.

+1 to that plan.

This problem only exists on *nix and the people in camp 1 are capable of solving this problem if we give them the tools to do so. Whereas the people in camp 2 are less able to solve it themselves. So I think our defaults should cater more to camp 2 and we should provide options
that can be leveraged by camp 1 if they must go that route.

Agreed.

So: shall we just go back to the old way, but with a compile-time option
to remove support for it?

Best regards,
-Karl