On 10 Feb 2022, Julian Foad wrote:
Julian Foad wrote:
pristines-on-demand behaviour needs to be made conditional on WC format.
[...]
Once that is done, I plan to return to this per-WC config option storage.

Now that we have (just) decided the default WC format will be the old format (31) and upgrading a WC will be optional, that means this per-WC config option and storage is not essential for MVP. The feature can just
be enabled whenever the WC is the new format (32), with no
pristines-specific config.

I am not saying we will never do pristines-specific config, just that it
will initially be usable without it.

+1, FWIW. I agree with you that the "Minimum Viable Product" here does not need it, although I do hope (and expect) that eventually we'll get it.