On 15 Feb 2022, Nathan Hartman wrote:
Possibly bikeshedding a bit, but this seems to return to the idea of "turning on" what we are (tentatively) calling "local base"... IMHO it would be better if it were reversed to "--remote-base=yes" to convey
that this is non-default and opt-in. (Or possibly allow both.)

The reason I shy away from the "--remote-base=foo" name is that there is *always* a remote base anyway. Even when one has pristines locally, there is also a remote pristine available (and indeed the server makes use of it sometimes). So that name would be misleading, and for more knowledgeable users, even confusing.

Alternatively...

As a command line switch, how about:

"svn checkout --base=local $REPO $WC"
or
"svn checkout --base=remote $REPO $WC"

This implies a symmetry between control of local-base presence and control of remote-base presence, but there is no such symmetry. The only thing this feature can ever control is the presence of local bases, so I think it would be a mistake to say anything about remote bases when addressing it.

Best regards,
-Karl