Merged to trunk now. Testers, enhancers welcome. More below.

Please try it out if you haven't.

The basics:

wc format 31:
  - compatible with svn 1.8 to 1.14 and now 1.15-dev
wc format 32:
  - compatible with svn 1.15-dev only,
  - as yet introduces no schema changes (we expect those to come when we
merge 'pristines-on-demand-on-mwf' branch to trunk)

There is no supported downgrade, so be careful with testing this. In
this development state you might not want to upgrade an important wc to
compatible-version=1.15. Check out a disposable WC instead.

(In emergency you might get away with:
    sqlite3 .svn/wc.db 'pragma user_version=31;'
)

Commands affected:

svn checkout  # WC is compatible with 1.8 to 1.14
svn checkout --compatible-version=1.15  # format bump
svn upgrade  # upgrade an old (svn<=1.7) WC to f31 (1.8~1.14)
svn upgrade --compatible-version=1.15  # upgrade to 1.15

Anyone would be very welcome to take a crack at any suggested
enhancements, including but not limited to those I listed earlier:

>  - The "svn upgrade" command may grow an option to only show the current
>    and target working copy versions. (Perhaps `svn upgrade --dry-run`?)
>
>  - Let the default "compatible version" be specified in the user
> config. (That is, the default version for 'checkout' and 'upgrade',
> which are the places where a version can be specified.)
>
>  - Clarify/unify the option name. svn commands also have other
>    compatibility concerns besides the WC format.
>    Current option names:
>      --compatible-version  # for 'svnadmin': repository version
>      --compatible-version  # for 'svn': WC version
>      --wc-format-version  # for the tests: WC version
>    Suggestions for WC version everywhere ('svn' and tests):
>      --wc-compatible-version
>      --wc-compatible-format
>
>  - Clarify the supported versions display:
>      -Supported working copy (WC) versions: from 1.8 to 1.15
>      +Supported working copy (WC) versions:
>      +  --compatible-version=1.8 (supported by svn 1.8 to 1.15; default)
>      +  --compatible-version=1.15 (supported by svn 1.15)
>
> We might want some of these, or other changes, before release.

- Julian