Julian Foad wrote on Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 20:23:29 +0000:
> Daniel Sahlberg wrote:
> >[...] I will try to build a release for myself and use it for dev work.
> Thank you Daniel.
>
> I'm wondering if I (or we) need to do more to facilitate evaluation. I'm
> thinking of things like adding some feedback to tell the user what it's doing
> ("fetching missing pristines now..."), maybe at an extra verbose level during
> this evaluation phase to help users understand it; finding out if any of the
> outstanding issues need fixing in order to be able to use it productively;
> maybe getting binaries built and distributed if that helps; maybe we can
> supply more succinct user documentation than what I wrote so far?

I think what we need now is users willing and able to test this.  Once
we do, we can figure out what we need to do in order to make it easier
for them to test it, whether it's write docs, or add notifications, or
build binaries, or…

For starters, ourselves.  Is HEAD of the branch good enough that devs
with use-cases can start to try it in their real use-case wc's?  It
won't be possible to downgrade f32 to f31, but if we want, say, to make
pristines-on-demand toggleable within a format, we can implement that in
f33 and leave f32 as "never appeared in a release".

I'll also mention asciinema.  It's basically script(1) into a video
hosted online.  It might be instructive for us to watch an asciinema
session of someone trying this branch for the first time.  It's about as
near as we can get to standing behind their shoulder, without actually
sharing a machine with them and watching a shared tmux(1) session.

Cheers,

Daniel