On Wed, Dec 7, 2022 at 12:11 PM Evgeny Kotkov via dev <
dev@subversion.apache.org> wrote:

> I think that the `pristines-on-demand-on-mwf` branch is now ready for a
> merge to trunk.  I could do that, assuming there are no objections.

I'd like to echo what others have already said by saying a great big THANK
YOU, to all who have worked on this cool new feature so far!

I used an earlier incarnation of this branch some months ago in real usage
scenarios with good results and looking at the recent commit emails as
they've happened everything looks sensible to me.

I will try to run the full test suite in the next couple of days and
assuming the tests pass for me I'll use it as my daily driver to test the
real usage. Obviously I'll post here if I find anything...

Meanwhile I'd like to say that on further thought and after reading Johan's
and Karl's feedback regarding the feature switch naming, I've come around
to the point of view that --store-pristine={yes|no} is a perfectly fine UI.

Given that this is now the command line switch name, and since users are
given direct control over the pristinefulness of a WC, and we've been
calling this feature Pristines On Demand since its inception, I think we
should finally bless this as the official name of the feature.

In the next couple of days I plan to update the staged 1.15 release notes,
which until now tentatively called it Bare Working Copies, to call it
Pristines On Demand and to complete the description there.

Regarding the SHA hash question:

While here, I would like to raise a topic of incorporating a switch from
> SHA1 to a different checksum type (without known collisions) for the new
> working copy format.  This topic is relevant to the pristines-on-demand
> branch, because the new "is the file modified?" check relies on the
> checksum
> comparison, instead of comparing the contents of working and pristine
> files.
>
> And so while I consider it to be out of the scope of the
> pristines-on-demand
> branch, I think that we might want to evaluate if this is something that
> should be a part of the next release.

Is it feasible and would it be beneficial to somehow decouple the hash code
type from the wc format version? Asking because IIRC the need for a format
bump to change hashes was one of the reasons it wasn't done a few years ago.

Cheers,
Nathan