On 31 Jul 2010, at 3:33, Kris Maglione wrote:

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 02:12:39AM +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
On 28 Jul 2010, at 2:24, Kris Maglione wrote:
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:55:14AM +0200, Uriel wrote:
I have to admit that I don't make a strong distinction between XML and Java, but fontconfig really isn't X. It's just an external library like anything else.

Can you build or run the X server without fontconfig? I haven't tried in years, but if I remember right the one time I tried, it wouldn't work.

Yes, you can. fontconfig is purely a client-side library. On the other hand, Xft requires it, and therefore so does everything built on GTK, Qt, FLTK, or Java. More sinister, ghostscript also requires it, and so does xetex (most distressingly). It will be a bad day when I meet Kieth Packard.

Must have been the libraries that wouldn't build, but I'm sure it was core X.org. I don't think it was Xft, but if it was then some essential lib had deps on Xft I didn't expect.