On Sat, 9 Apr 2011, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:

Adam Strzelecki wrote:
It is safer to remove this atom just after it is set in case we send some URL containing passwords or auth tokens
I'm confused as to the state between setting _SURF_GO and removing it. It smells like a race condition to me, but then again I don't understand X11 properties. I'd like a clarification as to how security is kept in the meantime (between setting and removal of _SURF_GO).

Security isn't kept. This seems like more of a prevention of accidental disclosure than real security. (And therefore pointless...?)

As an example, with this patch applied, run the following:

# start surf, grabbing its ID
$ surf -x
52428803

# in a 'spy' terminal
$ xprop -spy -id 52428803 _SURF_GO

# elsewhere, update _SURF_GO:
$ sprop 52428803 _SURF_GO asdf

The output in the spy terminal is:
_SURF_GO: not found
_SURF_GO(UTF8_STRING) = 0x61, 0x73, 0x64, 0x66   == "asdf"
_SURF_GO: not found

--
Best,
Ben