On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:05:55 +0100, Connor Lane Smith wrote:

So where does this fit in? Okay, this is basically my computing
tactic: simplifying my operating system to the point where I can
actually understand what on Earth is going on. When I use a system
like Ubuntu and Gnome, when shit breaks I have no idea what went
wrong, and I tend to end up reinstalling everything. When I use a
system like Debian and dwm, when shit breaks I say, "ohhh," and fix
it, and it takes a couple of seconds. (X is an exception.) The simpler the internals, the easier it is to use, not because of anything on the surface -- though the manuals are rather easier to read -- but because you can clearly visualise the mechanisms inside whatever tools you are
using.

If you push that to the extreme you want to understand how the kernel
works too. So you should make sure those tools work on Minix3 so that
you can achieve "big picture" understanding.

I don't understand why so few people on this list are interested in
Minix3. ~5k LOC for a POSIX-compatible kernel that can run most of
the software you need on a Unix box sounds nice to me.

--
Pierre 'catwell' Chapuis