On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 07:42:26AM -0700, Charlie Kester wrote:
On Wed 11 May 2016 at 17:33:41 PDT hiro wrote:
let's maintain a list of of requirements a distro should fulfill.
perhaps we can make a nice table afterwards and see which OS fits
these requirements out of the box.
i'll start with this. convince me otherwise.

1. package system: packages having few, sane dependencies (early
tinycorelinux was excellent in this regard)

Package systems are both a symptom and a cause of bloat.  They only
exist because most software, along with its metastasizing dependencies,
is a pain in the ass to compile.

The correct solution isn't hiding those problems with a package
manager, but to avoid those dependencies and the bloat in
individual programs by following suckless principles in the first place.

The ideal distro could get by with a ports system like in the BSDs or
Gentoo.  (Which isn't to say those existing systems couldn't be
improved.)

Gentoo might be helpful in some situation but not most of the time.

A ports like system won't be very helpful most of the time, what about a
low end device like raspberry pi, have you ever thought of that?

I don't think that buying a better computer for the sake of being more
suckless is even suckless, not everyone is that luxurious.

--
< Do what you like, like what you do. >