On Wed, May 16, 2018, at 10:05, Adrian Grigore wrote:
> What do  you guys think of this:
>
> https://ronaldduncan.wordpress.com/2009/10/31/text-file-formats-ascii-delimited-text-not-csv-or-tab-delimited-text/

Seems reasonable to me.  For the purpose of transferring data between two
different spreadsheet programs that cannot read each other's native formats,
seems much better than using tabs or commas.

If I were doing editing of this text format directly, I'd want my editor/pager
to have some tools to make it easier.  Maybe display the Unit Separator as a
special-color pipe and the Record Separator as a special-color newline and the
Group Separator as a special-color double newline (i.e. blank line).  And an
easy way to type in these characters in the editor.  For example, Unit
Separator can be entered in Emacs as C-x 8 RET 1 f RET, so a better shortcut
would be useful, e.g. C-| (control pipe).