On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 08:34:51AM +0000, Hadrien Lacour wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 09:42:51PM -0500, Chibby Bromanson wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am very impressed with the suckless software movement and I am doing
> > my best to try to create my own tool that follows the philosophy.  I
> > still have a lot to learn with the C language but so far I am proud of
> > the results.  I would be greatful if someone would review my tool and
> > consider it for inclusion in the list of tools that ROCK! :D
> >
> > The tool is for maintaining a list of descriptive tags on an extended
> > file attribute.  It plugs in nicely with fzf and other command line
> > tools.
> >
> > http://github.com/bromanbro/taggins
> >
> > Thank you for your consideration.
> >
> > Dorian
> >

> Any reason for using space as internal delimitor when it could be anything
> that's unlikely to be used in a tag (e.g. ASCII US)?
>
> Although I had the same idea a long time ago, I decided that using some
> kind of database [1] solves both the problem of xattr portability and
> performance (no need to crawl the filesystem to get your tags).
>

> [1] Would have to be anything with a daemon to avoid reading/writing the
> db constantly and using a tree structure for performance reasons.
> Said daemon could also do stuff like Windows -> POSIX and/or character
> encoding
> path translation if more portability is wanted.
>

> Regards,
> Hadrien Lacour

Greetings,

A space is used as a delimeter primarily because tags are by nature a
single word.  And this tagging system, unlike many others, is made
specifically to feed other command line tools while maintaining
transparency and legibility.

There are different ways to solve the problem of tagging.  All the
technologies listed above; the need for a database, a daemon to monitor
files etc.  That is why Xattribute is used.  So that you do not need
those things.  Maintaining files and file information is the
responsibility of the filesystem.

After 12 years of Xattributes most tools and filesystems now respect
them.  Your grandfathers zip program may not but tar will.

As far as searching and locating files, that is not the responsibility
of this application.  It does one thing only.  Tag the files.

Have a Great Day
Dorian