Fair, and you are correct, pypi explicitly forbids that representation, but I
think there are separable concerns here:

1) what is the Superset version?
2) how is that version represented in published artifacts across
potentially multiple consuming tech stacks?

I realize opinions may vary, but for the I personally would avoid coupling
the two questions. Publication artifacts may include tarballs, pypi
packages, npm packages, could even someday include client libs for other
things like java/maven (who knows).  If and when necessary, the Superset
release version can be transformed in a manner that is required for
specific consumers (ie you can turn 1.2.3-rc1 into 1.2.3rc1 when you push
to pypi).

I think there are a lot of advantages to opting into semver, in terms of
existing documentation and tooling, git workflows, etc.