Hi,

I don't know too much about the corresponding Maven2 plugins and in
which phase of the lifecycle they normally operate, but I have a very
knowledgeable colleague who also did our Hudson setup. So I can easily
get all the needed information. I agree that it does not make sense to
run those reports with every build. It takes time and consumes
resources. In Hudson we do have a special documentation job accompanying
each build job which by default runs only once a day. From my
perspective this is totally sufficient to collect quality metrics and
let tools check for bad practice and bug patterns.

The integration in Hudson is therefore useful, as it offers a very
convenient way to obtain those reports and also important check the
trend conveniently. The tricky part is the selection/configuration of
rules/rulesets to apply. My suggestion: start with a rather small set
and increase it incrementally. The same configuration as used in CI
should be used inside the IDE with the respective plugins. Most
favourite IDEs have nowadays rather sufficient support for those tools.

Regards,

   Eric