Based on the series of functional tests and load tests[1] covered by myself
on Apache Synapse 3.0.0 RC2 [2]; I am casting my vote as +1.

[1]
1) VFS to HTTP.
2) HTTP to VFS.
3) VFS Transport Load test for more than 12 hours.
4) VFS Transpot on FTP protocol.
5) VFS use-cases on different OS(Linux, Windows).
6) XML to JSON message transformation.
7) JSON to XML message transformation.

[2]
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/synapse/3.0.0/RC2/