On 16/01/2013 15:50, Jan Bernhardt wrote:
Hi Syncopers,

all preparation tasks are more or less done for CXF migration, so next we would
like to start with actual CXF migration.

Since we are planning to release Syncope 1.1.0 soon I can see two reasonable
solutions to continue.

1.       Creating a release branch for 1.1.0 and making sure this branch is stable and
give it some time for additional test before official "stable" release will
take place. CXF migration would start directly in trunk.

2.       Creating a CXF branch and continue working on trunk for 1.1.0 release.

I would prefer option 1 best. I think having a release branch prior to office
release is a good practice in general.
I expect quite some refactoring during CXF migration (which is not mandatory in
all cases but expedient), for example renaming some packages (removing client
from Types, TOs, ... since they are rather common classes used on server and
client site than specific only to the client) and I would also like to rename
*Controller classes to *ServiceImpl since these classes do not act as
controller for a workflow or GUI but rather offer some REST services. SVN has
some limitations to handle renamed files when it comes to merging updates. Thus
it could be quite painful to keep a cxf branch in sync with trunk.

WDYT? Could we start a release branch?

Hi Jan,
I generally agree with (1) even though I am not sure whether Syncope 1.1.0 release can actually happen soon: there is still a considerable number of issues to be solved (~20) and many changes introduced by SYNCOPE-241 SYNCOPE-259 SYNCOPE-268 (all still open) need to consolidate a bit.

From the other side, 46+ issues have already been resolved in 1.1.0 and this would instead suggest pushing 1.1.0 for releasing soon.

Finally, please consider that even with option (1) there will be some bugfixing in the 1_1_X branch (i.e. the current trunk) for long time; this will push a consistent and constant merge work to be done between 1_1_X and new trunk.

Given this situation, I would personally suggest to devote as much energy as possible towards 1.1.0 release, possibly putting the CXF migration on hold for a while.

Francesco Chicchiriccò

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/