On 21/10/2014 09:59, Guido Wimmel wrote:
Hi Francesco,

sorry for missing the exact point of the switch from SVN to Git, but probably
good that we have discovered that the SVN repository is still writable with
such a simple change.

Guido,
nothing to be sorry: I was waiting for all changes required in INFRA-8435 to happen - we are now waiting for GitHub mirror to be active again, so that our Travis job is triggered - so I delayed the "official" GIT announcement.

Anyway, I've updated our source repository page (with the only noticeable exception that GitHub mirror is not yet re-activated): http://syncope.apache.org/source-repository.html

Do we have any special rules / instructions of working with the new Git
repository? The branch strategy probably stays the same, right? (e.g. a change
is committed/pushed to the relevant branch, then is possibly merged to branches
with higher versions and the trunk)

+1 (only trunk is master, now), and "git merge" works far better than "svn merge" ;-)

Given the problems that INFRA has in making SVN read-only for some paths (/trunk /branches /tags) but not for others (/site), I am going to open a separate [DISCUSS] thread with the proposal of removing the former paths from the SVN repo.

Regards.

Gesendet: Dienstag, 21. Oktober 2014 um 09:28 Uhr
Von: "Francesco Chicchiriccò" <ilgro...@apache.org>
An: dev@syncope.apache.org
Betreff: Re: [DISCUSS] Time to switch to GIT?

Hi all,
quick update: as reported in this comment [1], GIT is working but some
other things need to be fixed: in particular it seems that Subversion is
still accepting commits, thus generating a very unstable situation.

I have asked INFRA for support: please in the meanwhile *don't commit
anything to Subversion*, thanks.

Regards.

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-574?focusedCommentId=14178065&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14178065

FYI, I've opened INFRA-8435 and SYNCOPE-559 for this.

Hi all,
it seems we have consensus here: I am going to open an issue on JIRA
to INFRA with the following requests:

  1. switch our source repo to GIT

  2. make the current SVN directory read-only ONLY for
     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/syncope/trunk
     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/syncope/branches
     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/syncope/tags

  3. re-map our read / only GIT mirrors [1] [2] to our new GIT repo

  4. adjust everything to intercept pull requests from github

Regards.

[1] http://git.apache.org/syncope.git
[2] http://github.com/apache/syncope

+1, most of the other Apache projects I work on have already
switched to
git.

Colm.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Fabio Martelli
<fabio.marte...@gmail.com>