Hi,
so it seems my memory isn't that good, after all :-)

I could not find any valid reason supporting the status quo - most likely some errors during the code migration and refactoring from 1_2_X to master.

Anyway, I am working right now on SYNCOPE-883, fix should be available soon, implementing the general policy of returning:

 * 403 for authenticated users not allowed to invoke a given REST endpoint
* 401 for anonymous users attempting to access a given REST endpoint which requires authentication

Hi Colm,
I remember there was some good reason supporting this change (possibly as part
of one of initial 2.0.0 issues): I'll investigate tomorrow and report.

Regards.