On 07/10/2016 15:37, andrea wrote:

Il 07/10/2016 15:21, Francesco Chicchiriccò ha scritto:
On 07/10/2016 15:04, Fabio Martelli wrote:
Il 07/10/2016 12:58, Matteo Di Carlo ha scritto:
Hi all,
I worked on SYNCOPE-941 issue - Skip empty configuration screens in enduser UI - and I'd like to discuss about mine and other possible solutions, in particular about a consequence I ran into. Since (in edit) the user is able to navigate not only through navigation buttons but also through the breadcrumb, I decided to build it dynamically to skip empty screens by not showing the related links at all on the breadcrumb.

The problem is: during the first initialization of the breadcrumb, in Credentials, the user can see clearly the breadcrumb'structure changing while it is initializing.

I have tried to fix this using a spinner that disappears once the breadcrumb is ready but technically and graphically I didn't find it a good solution. SYNCOPE-955 Another way to solve it could be leaving the breadcrumb static as it was and disabling those buttons related to empty screens.

Any thoughts?
Matteo.

Hi Matteo, FMPOV we can revert the commit on 941 and mark both "won't fix".

Considering the end-user console is usually the mainly component to be customized during an IdM project I do think the effort to provide the fix for 955 is not justified.

WDYT?

As the Enduser is primarily meant to be deeply adapted to every deployment's specific needs - and thus should be considered as a 'reference implementation' rather than a final deployable - skipping empty screens (SYNCOPE-941) and fixing the consequent quirks (SYNCOPE-955) should not be applicable.

Things were instead different for SYNCOPE-885 (essentially, the SYNCOPE-941 counterpart for admin console), since the admin console is ordinarily meant to be deployed 'as-is', even though some degree of customization is always possible.

For such reasons I am +1 to revert the commits for SYNCOPE-941 and to close that one and SYNCOPE-955 as "Won't fix".

Regards.

I agree with you.
This issue (SYNCOPE-941) is surely meaningful for the actual enduser console, but opened a series of minor (but required) graphical changes (see SYNCOPE-955, but maybe other) that could be done for the nth installation, that (paradoxically) could even get rid of breadcrumb or reimplement it from scratch.

Best regards,
Andrea

Thanks everyone, I agree.
Every solution I thought has the same graphical problem because breadcrumb initialization depends on groups and schemas, which are loaded in multiple and asynchronous steps.
I revert the commits as you suggest.
Matteo