Hi Misagh,

thanks for you interest in the proposal :)

Il 17/09/19 09:41, Misagh Moayyed ha scritto:
I think it's a very good idea, and should fit quite nicely with the auditing
capabilities of the system to make auditors happy :) I have done some brief
work with JaVers myself while I was evaluating it for very similar
requirements; it's a an easy-to-use library and also has decent and flexible
persistent mechanisms for record keeping; also somewhat Boot friendly. Maybe
the two can work with each other in fact; you'd have JaVers as the high-level
abstraction that keeps track of history and audits, while the persistence
mechanisms are pushed out to different systems, one of which could be handled
by Spring Data JPA, while also allowing for MongoDb and etc.
Yes I had the chance to work with it several times, too and can confirm the high usability and easy configurability through very minimal code changes.

A few things about history and audits in general that I think would be useful:

1. This should be an optional thing; one should have the ability to turn it off
and I'd argue that it perhaps should be kept off by default until at least a
release passes to avoid surprises.
2. Audit data can grow quite large depending on system activity and may blow out the
storage system or cause performance issues, etc. There should be some sort of
"automatic clean up" process that purges records after a reasonable time
period, or sufficient warnings that adopters are to do the cleanup themselves.

I agree about this two points, data growth is my biggest concern. Very nice idea the cleanup process! I would add them to the requirements list.

--Misagh

Best regards,
Andrea