In my opinion, the problem with using a separate branch with longer-term work,
rather than smaller PRs into the master, is that after several commits, say 10
or 20, it becomes much more difficult to rebase without running into nasty
merge conflicts, especially when those conflicts are on an intermediate commit
so one would have to remember what the code looked like at that point in time
to properly fix the conflicts. To me, this invites issues such as duplicated
code and slower progress.

--

Mike Dusenberry
GitHub: github.com/dusenberrymw