Thank you Lance and Uli,

with your help I made some important steps into the right direction. I now
use the grade eclipse plugin, it works very well. I also changed the java
version in the main build.gradle file from 1.5 to 1.6 (Uli: you changed it
back from 1.6 back to 1.5 in 209efb827 8 weeks ago).

the remaining compilation errors where from some missing java source files
the the "org.apache.tapestry5.internal.antlr" package - i assumed they are
being generated with the first full gradle buid.

So I tried to build everything from command line (cygwin, windows 7
"./gradlew build"). But here my next problems arise: The build fails very
soon when building tapestry-beanvalidator in
the TapestryBeanValidationIntegrationTest and the antlr files are not being
generated. After looking into things, i found out that the tests assert
that there are english bean-validation messages present - my environment is
german and the integration-apps output german messages and formatting, so
the tests fail. Fix was easy: i added
"configuration.add(SymbolConstants.SUPPORTED_LOCALES, "en");" in the
AppModule of the beanvalidator integration test. now beanvalidator module
builds and all tests pass - but now in tapestry-core there are other tests
failing - also because of german localized messages and formatting (dates,
numbers)  - the tests assert english messages and formatting. the first
four failing tests are:

1372 methods, 24 failed, 1348 passed

basic_grid:
"//img[@class='t-sort-icon']/@alt was '[aufw.]' not '[Asc]'"

bean_editor:
"Page did not contain 'You must provide at least 3 characters for First
Name.'."

calendar_field_inside_bean_editor:
"Page did not contain 'Apr 6, 1978'."

cancel_button
"ERROR: Element //input[@value='Cancel'] not found"

Now i am stuck - i would like not to have to add the fixed english locale in
every "AppModule" and every Integration test.

I tried to set the locale before building the tests from command line but
with no success.

I tried:

export LANG="en_US"
export LC_ALL"en_US"
./gradlew -Dtapestry.supported-locales=en build

I also added the line
JAVA_OPTS="-Dtapestry.supported-locales=en"
on top of the gradlew build script without success - the tests continue to
fail.

Is this a bug? I would like to help and try to fix it and improve the tests
or the test environment, that the locale of the user where the build runs
is not used and english is being used instead. Or is my build setup wrong
and cygwin is in some way not supported? Any ideas?

Thanks you guys
Felix