I can also see one technical difficulty that prevents quick patches -- this
is JIRA.

JIRA is not the right tool for providing patches for a git project.

Looking at other open source projects that are hosted on GitHub you can
notice how many pull-requests are done for them.

Having pull requests being one-click away from being applied is very
important I think.

I'm not sure if this is some Apache requirement that Tapestry must store
its codebase on Apache's git repo, but there is a Tapestry 5 mirror on
GitHub:

https://github.com/apache/tapestry-5

Though very few people know about it, maybe because it's not mentioned here:

http://tapestry.apache.org/community.html#Community-SourceCodeAccess

There is also no activity on GitHub, there is even no Issues section in
there.
And also zero pull-requests and no README.md with some simple instructions
how to contribute.

Not sure if somebody from the dev team has access to this repo, but maybe
we should change this: enable issues and accept pull requests from GitHub?
Will they be synced back to Apache's repo? If yes, maybe we should start
using GitHub repo as a primary repo for tapestry development?