No, there's no need for complete page state in any request. In the example I
gave, we restored the necessary state with just one query parameter: "filter".
Component contexts looked after the rest.

Think of it as bringing @ActivationRequestParameter down from the page level to
the component/zone level, just for AJAX.

When there's no AJAX, @ActivationRequestParameter works fine: during page
render every requester in the page (Form, EventLink, etc) gets the activation
request parameters baked into its URLs. Every request that comes in sets the
@ActivationRequestParameter.

But when there is AJAX, each server-side component needs a way to return its
activation request parameters and have the client-side update every URL in the
page, not just the URLs in the returned zone(s). That's all I'm proposing.