Hi,

Am 14.05.2014 02:18, schrieb Kalle Korhonen:
We could simply take a vote on this - case like this is exactly what the
voting procedures at Apache were originally designed for.

I also thing that a vote is probably the way to go, but I'd like to make sure that everyone is clear on the implications before the vote. I'm pretty sure that there are still some of us who haven't completely made up their minds in that regard (which is easy to say because I'm one of them).

We'd need to vote on a clearly defined issue, like "do we want to require Java
6 for T5.4 so
we can upgrade dependencies that require Java 6, such as the newer closure
compiler".

The recent closure compiler even requires Java 7.
Some people have already stated that we wouldn't benefit much from switching only to Java 6. I think that's only partly true. While Java 6 doesn't bring too many useful new features language-wise, I'd see it as a great benefit not having to support Java 5 anymore. And what's even more important in my opinion is that we currently claim to support Java 5 but build and test on Java 6 minimum. If we ditched support for Java 5, we could at least build/test with an OpenJDK 6 (which is easily apt-gettable) and make sure that everything works there. I think, we should have one vote for dropping Java 5 support and, if that succeeds, another one about Java 6.

Jochen