Me too ;-)

> On my end, I would need the build to create distinct artifacts for each of
the
> components (compiler and each lib).  This also implies that there would
need
> to be packaging source (think debian/) for each, instead of just the one
top-
> level.
Is this really required? Debian allows to have multiple files per target
package
within the debian folder. An additional folder per language will end up in
duplicate
definitions and more work to update etc.
I prefer on folder as we have today => low maintenance effort

> The reason for this is that the whole thing covers too many disciplines to
> have a single person (at least this person) maintaining it all throughout
> Debian release life-cycle.
The people creating the Debian packages would anyway become familiar with
the thrift source tree. And probably use the mailing list here.
The separation of build and install files per language already simplifies
the
management of the Debian packages within one debian folder.

> I would still need to maintain a fork because the packaging and upstream
> source are not expected to move in lock-step (i.e. there can be many
> package releases for each upstream version), but they could be kept
closely
> synced.
I will help you to keep your modifications as small as possible and try to
bring in all
changes into the Thrift source.

For many languages people use language specific package formats.
Beside of the thrift-compiler package, what languages do people really need
as a Debian package?