On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:33 +0100, Roger Meier <ro...@bufferoverflow.ch> wrote:
> [...]

It's not required, but it could make it more likely to get good
motivated packaging contribution, since typically a single person is
responsible for a particular source package (think one debian/ folder).
And one person who needs the thrift Perl bindings may be very good at
packaging Perl software -- and yet have no need for, skill in, or
interest in packaging the others. In Eric's case, he is motivated to
package thrift-compiler, python-thrift, and libthrift-java, but not
(particularly) the others.

If Eric goes ahead with his packages, I will likely contribute to those,
and probably pick up a few of the other language pieces.

> > The reason for this is that the whole thing covers too many disciplines to
> > have a single person (at least this person) maintaining it all throughout a
> > Debian release life-cycle.
> The people creating the Debian packages would anyway become familiar with
> the thrift source tree. And probably use the mailing list here.
> The separation of build and install files per language already simplifies
> the management of the Debian packages within one debian folder.

It's not necessarily the case that Debian packagers would need to become
familiar with the entire thrift source tree- the different parts of lib/
are rather nicely self-contained, for the most part. And like Eric said,
there are an awful lot of disciplines involved in maintaining packages
for all of thrift. Creating good PHP packages requires a familiarity
with a quite different set of policies and best practices from those for
packaging Ruby.

> For many languages people use language specific package formats.
> Beside of the thrift-compiler package, what languages do people really need
> as a Debian package?

In the circles I inhabit, there is an especially strong need for
packaged Python and Java thrift libraries, but PHP, Ruby, C++, and C#
would certainly get good use as well.

Yes, people can already use PyPI, easy_install, gem, maven, etc., etc.,
but especially in deployment scenarios it is often much easier to be
able to bring in Thrift bindings as a depedency of one's OS packages.
Getting packages from one's OS vendor also adds the normal benefits of
assured OS compatibility, simple security updates, easier system
management, and more.