On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 21:53 +0000, Roger Meier wrote:
> yes, you are right.
>
> git commit --signoff --author="Cross Everything <wo...@example.com>"
> -a -m "THRIFT-XXXX lang: description"
>
> does the trick!
>
> I've just tested it here including also signoff:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=thrift.git;a=commit;h=cc25c52de4fc1d9d856a759b283ff96a6c251c29
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-2024
>

> update here: http://thrift.apache.org/docs/HowToContribute ?

I may be misunderstanding your intent here, but I believe this is still
somewhat non-standard usage of Signed-off-by.  Typically it is used to
indicate that someone either wrote it and/or have the right to
open-source the contribution.  See the Linux kernel's documentation
here: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
(section 12).

I think what you're really after is "Acked-by" (or possibly "Tested-by"
or "Reviewed-by"), which is described in section 13 of that document.
If all you want is to signify who actually committed the patch, that
information is already retained by git.  It doesn't show up in `git log`
by default, but `git log --format=full` will show it, as will gitweb and
cgit.

As long as on the subject, most open source projects try to limit the
subject of the patch to 72 characters (or another number in the 70-75
range), and include the relevant component.  If a longer description is
necessary that goes in subsequent lines.  Finally, the bug information
comes at the end.  So, that commit would look something like this:

$ git commit --author "Cross Everything <wo...@example.com>" --signoff

Note the absence of -m.  Then, in your editor (nano, vi, emacs, etc...
see the "ENVIRONMENT AND CONFIGURATION VARIABLES" section in the
git-commit man page for details) enter in the commit message, which
would be something like:

        cpp: fix warning on 64-bit platforms about truncating rlim_t to
        int

        A longer description of the problem and/or solution could go
        here if the subject is insufficient to convey everything.

        THRIFT-2024

Instead of "THRIFT-2024", many (most?) projects use an actual link to
the bug in question instead of just the bug number, which is quite
convenient.

-Evan