Hi all

the big question for me is how git archive will be used, does it just
solve (1) as mentioned by Jens? What about updating version tags within
source tree and creating a tarball of the tree for a release?
So users need to sh bootstrap.sh or just use CMake or any other specific
build system such as npm.

The other question is how CMake should accelerate the release procedure.
To you think we should have e.g. a package.json and package.json.in file
within the tree? One for preparing the release easily and the other for
people hacking directly on the git tree as most people do.

Quarterly releases would be very good so people can use latest tagged
release within their projects.

bets!
roger

Quoting Jens Geyer <jensge...@hotmail.com>:

Hi,

(1) If git archive solves the problems I'm for it. If EXTRA_DIST is made obsolete by this step I'm even more for it.

(2) Time plan sounds feasible to me. A week more or less will not harm anyone, so let's just do it.

(3) Regular schedule sounds great! Not sure about monthly, though. My first reaction was, bimonthly or quarterly (= 3 months) is probably enough and would be a great leap forward. On the other hand, if we somehow could manage to get into a position where we are able to do a release basically on the proverbial spur of the moment, just by pushing a few buttons, then we can have whatever release schedule makes sense vis-à-vis features implemented and bugs fixed. We could even make it based on a milestone feature set, instead of a fixed schedule. Not sure how close we can get to that goal and how much effort it takes (and where it stops making sense), but that's what I imagine.

Have fun,
JensG

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- From: Jake Farrell