When I say "binding votes" isn't a thing, I just mean it's more
helpful to think of "vote" as the thing (noun) and "binding" and
"non-binding" as qualifiers (adjectives), rather than thinking of
"binding vote" and "non-binding vote" as compound nouns. It's more
useful to think of them as noun clauses (containing an adjective and a
noun) instead.

Nouns operate on definitions, so thinking about these as compound
nouns, you still have to figure out the definition (nominative
thinking). If, on the other hand, you think of it as a noun clause,
the work of figuring out the definition is made easier by
understanding the quality the adjective is providing to the noun
(descriptive thinking).

"binding" is just as an adjective that means the "vote" counts in
achieving the majority, and "non-binding" means it doesn't count in
achieving a majority. Only PMC votes count (i.e. are binding).

Much of this confusion I think stems from English being a terrible
language to use, especially in writing. In English, the line between a
noun clause and a compound noun is very blurry. The main difference
seems to be how we perceive them (nominative thinking vs. descriptive
thinking), rather than strict grammar rules.

Sorry if this sounds like an English lecture. I'm just trying to be
clear and helpful in interpreting the ASF requirements for voting on
releases.

Another way of viewing this is:
1. PMCs are part of the official legal structure of the Foundation,
2. Approving a "release" is an official act of the Foundation,
3. non-PMC members can't officially approve a release, because they
are not part of the official legal structure to do so.
(see also https://www.apache.org/foundation/governance/pmcs ; that
page also specifically says that the minimum number of PMC members on
a project is 3, because that is the minimum number needed to approve a
release)